Monday, March 12, 2007

Spring is almost here

There was some fabulous weather over the weekend. Much of our snow from the storms is melting away. The breeze on skin is strong and heavy carrying the moisture rising from the frozen ground, although it is exhilirating, it feels warm in a fresh and new feeling.

With the new snow and the deep frost we have, mud is the new season! Children love it of course. I have to admit it is a fun sensation to sink in and have had your foot create a vacuum which is difficult to remove yourself from. Thus far, no spills flat faced into the muck, but the season is young.

Everyone is smiling and cheerful. Several people with shorts on today. Over protective mom that I am, of course, it is not warm enough for shorts. It must be 70 degrees. Just want my daughter to know the boys will have the same crazy rules! Cabin fever may be coming to its end. Definitely the time of renewal. It feels especially odd to be alone at this time. The time of rebirth and change. I fear I am missing that this year.

I believe my daughter has found some companionship (more?) among her new group of friends in far away Africa. This is a great thing. I know that she was definitely ready to move on with her life in that arena. I worry some about seriousness and what the future will hold for a new romance. It is difficult to communicate the suggestion to enjoy without becoming overwhelmed by the situation. The opportunities to experience many new adventures together could build a very strong bond and base of a serious relationship. I hope she knows the pride and trust I have in her ability to grow and learn from every experience. My fear is that I am not as easily accessible for advice, a shoulder to cry on, or even a listener of the great things and the not so wonderful details that our closer relationship allowed in the past. Even with all the modern technology available, she still remains on the other side of the Earth; with the communication lines not open in the same way they were before. This is a difficult adjustment for me, and I am sure she feels this too.

She was away for the weekend to the mountains. It is truly amazing to me the beautiful pictures I have seen. Although I rationally understood that the entire continent is not a desert, I am pleasantly surprised by the beauty I now understand is Africa.

We had our daylight savings time change this weekend and am out of sorts for getting tired at night. I must try to sleep.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Oh Mom... you make me laugh. You wrote this post so eloquently, but I don't know if it was because you felt so inclined or if you were just trying to mask what you were getting at. You're funny. Hope you feel a little more included, we can converse more about it via e-mail if you'd like.

Mom said...

I actually am a decent writer when I set my mind to it. This has been kind of fun to have a venue for that sort of thing. I used to write a lot when you were little but I am sure you don't know about it. I even wrote a 100 page story once but then decided it was a bit idiotic! I love you. I do feel better that we were able to talk.